Saturday 10 November 2018

My new friend

After a wait of about six weeks since placing my order, I received a call today from Walton Street Cycles in Oxford to say that my new Brompton folding bike had arrived, been assembled, and was ready for collection. I drove down to Oxford, parked, and walked the fifty or so yards to the shop. On saying what I had come for, the assistant in the shop exclaimed, "So you're the red and green one!" It seemed that everyone in the shop had been discussing the colour scheme. Anyone who buys a new Brompton must choose the colour or colours they want. One of the shop staff had said he definitely didn't like it whereas the others did like it, thinking it was rather Christmassy. I have to say, though, that after I had placed the order, I had second thoughts about the colour scheme and that perhaps I should have chosen all green (it's British Racing Green) as it would have been a little more discreet. Anyway, I didn't do anything about it and I actually like the way it looks. It's very distinctive.

I was taken through the folding and unfolding procedure which is quite straightforward and I will get the hang of it with practice. I paid and then carried it to the car. It was just starting to rain so I lobbed it in the back and dived into the car. Within a couple of minutes, the heavens opened.

I shall now plan some adventures. The bike will be taken to places in my camper van and so there be some overlap with my camper blog and there may also be an overlap with my backpacking blog. We'll see how it works out.

Anyway, here are some initial photos.




Weather permitting, I plan to take it for its maiden voyage tomorrow, just a spin of a few miles locally.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Camping in the Somerset Levels

At last a camping weekend. With members of the Backpackers Club, cycle camping, not the usual backpacking. I loaded the bike in the back of ...